Portfolio Value Update - August 2017

Portfolio Value

As of August 31, 2017 my investment portfolio balance stood at $46,011.18. That’s an increase of $1,198.94 from last month. A much better performance compared to the previous month. New contribution, dividend income and capital appreciation helped my portfolio value to climb above 45K threshold. The rebound of the Canadian market in the last 3 days of August, has helped a lot in terms of capital appreciation.

Dividends
Dividend income is a passive income for which I don’t have to work for. I simply invest in different corporations and collect dividends for owning the stock. In August, I received a total of $224.79 in dividends vs $172.09 for the same period a year ago. That's an increase of $52.70 or 30% on year-over-year basis. My cumulative dividend income for the year is $1,692.09.



Contributions
In August, I added $800 of fresh capital to my TFSA account. The maximum amount that I can contribute in 2017 is $5,500. Since I have contribution room from prior years, I will continue to add $800 per month until I reach my maximum contribution.


My Investment Account (TFSA)
My portfolio consists of 29 Canadian dividend paying stocks. Most of my stocks pay dividends on monthly basis. This allows me to collect dividends and reinvest them into dividend paying stocks more rapidly.


Transactions
On August 24, 2017 I bought more shares in Smart Reit (SRU.UN.TO). Smart Reit is one of my favourite Canadian Reit for many good reasons. They own great shopping centres with reliable tenants like Wal-Mart and have interest in many residential developments.

I'm very excited about their residential development. That's why I decided to buy more shares of SRU.

I bought 35 shares of the company for $31.40 per share. They just hiked their dividend by 2.9%, effective October 2017. With the current share price, the dividend yield is 5.8%, paid monthly.

This purchase will increase my monthly dividend income by $4.95.


Online Income
PTC Sites: $21.69
Surveys: $10.93
Adsense: $6.53

Total income from online sources: $39.15

$39.15 is a pocket change, but I would need an extra $9,400 invested in stocks in order to received the equivalent in dividends.


How was your month? What was your dividend income? Feel free to comment below. Thank you!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on a terrific month, can't wait to see how your September goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mat! September should be higher in dividends :)

      Delete
  2. Very solid month DIS! Great job in earning the extra income as well. It is cool how you show the portfolio size needed to earn that income. Looking forward to seeing what you are capable of doing in September!

    Bert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bert! Thanks for stopping by. I'm heading to your blog right now to see how you did in August :)

      Delete
  3. The $9,400 - what an interesting way to look at it! What are the PTC sites?

    ReplyDelete