New Stock Purchase: Telus Telecommunications

Hey guys. Today, I would like to share my new stock purchase. I started a new position in Telus by purchasing 135 shares at $22.88 per share. This is the first telco stock in my portfolio and I gave my preference to Telus instead of Rogers or Bell. Eventually, I will buy the other two companies, but for now, I believe that Telus has better outlook given the current environment.

Telus pays a quarterly dividend of $0.2913 per share which translates into a 5.1% yield. It’s a high quality blue-chip stock so 5.1% is very nice! I’m happy that I was able to lock that in. The purchase of 135 shares will add $39.32 per quarter or $157.30 per year to my forward dividend income.

 

Company’s Profile:

Telus is one of the big three wireless service providers in Canada, with its 9 million mobile phone subscribers nationwide constituting almost 30% of the total market. It is also the ILEC (incumbent local exchange carrier; the legacy telephone provider) in the western Canadian provinces of British Columbia and Alberta, where it provides Internet, television, and landline phone services. It also has a small wireline presence in eastern Quebec. In recent years Telus has moved to bring fiber to the home over most of its wireline footprint as it upgrades its legacy copper network, leaving it able to compete on more equal footing with cable providers. Telus’ other businesses include international business services, health data records, and security.

6 comments:

  1. Nice buy German, I think Telus might be my favourite dividend stock. Great buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading the reports that their health segment is doing great!

      Delete
  2. nice buy German

    A great stock at a pretty good price.

    keep making that money work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice buy buddy. I just picked up 186 shares for 22.99!
    Plan to hold this one til retirement!

    ReplyDelete