Portfolio Value Update - August 2026

Portfolio Value
In August, my portfolio decreased by $8,308, falling from $277,905 to $269,597. Despite the decline, I continued to add to my long-term positions during the month. I also contributed another $300 to my TFSA, leaving $900 in remaining contribution room.

The decline in portfolio value was disappointing after several months of steady progress, but short-term fluctuations are part of investing. My focus remains on continuing to build the portfolio and growing my dividend income over the long term.

 
Dividends
Dividends received in August 2026: $1,000.50
Dividends received in August 2025: $885.67
Year-Over-Year Dividend Growth: $114.83 or 12.96%
Year-To-Date Dividend Income: $7,811.57


August marked another month where my dividend income exceeded the same month last year. Receiving more than $1,000 in dividends during the month was another positive milestone for the portfolio.

With eight months of the year now complete, I've received $7,811.57 in dividend income so far in 2026. I'm continuing to work toward increasing this number each year through a combination of reinvestment, new contributions, and additional purchases.

 
Transactions
In a TFSA account I bought:
TELUS Corporation (T.TO): 111 shares at $13.76 per share.

I continued adding to my TELUS position in August as the share price remained under pressure. This purchase came shortly after TELUS announced a significant reset to its dividend, reducing the quarterly payment from $0.4184 to $0.1875 per share. The company indicated that the lower dividend is intended to improve financial flexibility and support debt reduction.

The dividend cut certainly changes the investment thesis compared with when TELUS was primarily viewed as a high-income holding. However, the significant decline in the share price has also made the valuation more interesting to me. I'm comfortable taking a long-term view and believe the company's efforts to strengthen its balance sheet could benefit shareholders over time.

Buying 111 shares at $13.76 brings another $1,526.36 into my TELUS position. While the reduced dividend means the income from these shares will be considerably lower than it would have been under the previous payout, I'm looking beyond the current yield and focusing on the company's potential to improve its financial position.

 
Charts






---

That wraps up my August update! While the portfolio value declined during the month, I'm still happy with the progress I'm making on the income side of the portfolio. I'm continuing to contribute regularly, reinvest my dividends, and add to companies that I believe have long-term potential.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on my progress, especially on my decision to continue buying TELUS following the dividend cut. Feel free to share your own August results in the comments below as well.

Thanks for reading, and see you next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment