New Buy: Royal Bank of Canada

Today I made my first stock purchase of 2019. I mentioned in my previous post that in 2019 I will focus more on Bank stocks. Hence, I started my shopping spree with the Royal Bank of Canada.

The Royal Bank of Canada (TSE:RY) is the largest Canadian bank with market capitalization of $139 billion. RBC serves over 16 million clients and has 80,000 employees worldwide.




Today I purchased 10 shares of RBC and paid $96.85 per share. It’s a new position for me and I plan to add to it when opportunities arise. It would be nice to own at least 50 shares, but that may take a while to accumulate.

The current dividend yield is 4%. This purchase will add $39.20 to my yearly income. Its current payout ratio is 45%, making the dividend payments very safe. The bank has a great track record of dividend raises. For example, in 2018, RBC raised the dividend twice - from $0.91 to $0.94 and then to $0.98. I expect them to do the same in 2019 since their revenues are growing at an average rate of 6.9%.

The ex-dividend date for RBC is January 23, 2019. Since I bought the stock before ex-date, I will get my first dividend payment on February 22, 2019.

What do you think about RBC? Do you own it? Let me know what you plan to buy in January.

1 comment:

  1. Nice buy German, I've been a shareholder of RBC since 2014 and I am very happy with my returns so far. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete