Portfolio Value Update - March 2019

Hey everyone! I’m happy to announce that we finally did it. My wife and I retired today. Here’s how we did it. We got rid of all money-sucking liabilities such as condo, car, and Costco membership. We bought a 1999 live-in van for traveling across Canada and US. Our life style is now supported by three stock investment portfolios and two YouTube channels. Most of the summer months we will spend in Canada and in winter we will travel down south, closer to Mexico border. I feel safer going down there knowing that a big wall will be built to protect us from gringos. We don’t need their drugs, we have a perfectly legal, high-quality leaves in Canada. Oh by the way, today is April 1st and it’s time to update you on how we did in March. Happy April Fool's Day!




Portfolio Value
In March my investment portfolio value increased by $3,651 to $72,271. The majority of the increase came from stocks appreciation. Once again, my REIT and Utility holdings did very well. I invested heavily in those sectors last year because they were under pressure due to fear of interest rate hikes. There were a few hikes, but nothing major that could impact companies’ profitability. REITs and Utilities have fully recovered, providing a good boost to my portfolio value.


Dividends
Dividends received in March 2019: $328.37
Dividends received in March 2018: $261.40
Year-Over-Year Dividend Growth: $66.97 or 25%
Year-To-Date Dividend Income: $971.52

The dividend growth is steady eddy. No surprises here.



AdSense Earnings
Adsense earnings from blog: $2.12
Adsense earnings from YouTube: $45.52
Total AdSense earnings: $47.64

Adsense earnings from this blog is still low but it has improved since last month. YouTube earnings have also improved because I created more content. YouTube can be a great passive income, but it requires a lot of work in the beginnings. The bulk portion of YouTube earnings came from videos I made last year. I should see more growth in the future as I continue to add 10 to 20 videos per month.



Contributions
In March I transferred $575 to my TFSA account. I will continue to contribute the same amount every month. My TFSA contribution limit will be reached by the end of this year.



Transactions
In March I made one transaction. I bought 15 shares of TD Bank. You can refer to my previous post where I provide more details about this purchase. 



Progress Charts






That’s it for March update! Let me know what you think of my progress. Feel free to share your progress in the comment section below. Thank you for reading and take care!

7 comments:

  1. nice german great yr over yr increase and that portfolio keeps going up.

    Man you are killing it on YouTube. That is awesome 45 a month is sweet.

    keep it up
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rob. YouTube can be a good source of income when things are done right. My short-term goal is to reach $100/month in passive income from YT. The channel is still very small, with less than 2K subscribers. Imagine if I had 20K subscribers. I would make 300-400 per month, equivalent to income from dividends.

      Delete
    2. Hi German,

      I just pass by to collect your dividend income for income heroes and learned you have a YT channel. Can you paste the URL?

      Regards,

      Torsten

      Delete
    3. Hi Torsten,

      Sure, my YT channel is https://www.youtube.com/c/GermanKorb

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on retirement! You can live as low as $1000 per month?!

    ReplyDelete