Portfolio Value Update - November 2019


Hey everyone! Welcome back. It’s time to report my monthly progress. November is now behind us and we only have one month left in this fiscal year. In my monthly reporting, I like to monitor my stock portfolio value, dividend income, and overall growth. These reports help me stay motivated on reaching my financial goals.


Portfolio Value
In November, my portfolio value increased by $3,016 and closed at $83,673. That’s a big increase considering that I only invested $575 of fresh capital and reinvested about $350 from dividends. The rest of the increase came from stocks appreciation. The TSX (Toronto Stock Exchange) recorded good gains in November, but I expect the market to turn around in December for a tax-loss selling season.




Dividends
Dividends received in November 2019: $370.01
Dividends received in November 2018: $311.61
Year-Over-Year Dividend Growth: $58.40 or 18.7%
Year-To-Date Dividend Income: $3,848.15

One of my goals in 2019 was to achieve $4,000 in dividend income. That goal will be achieved and surpassed next month. I also expect a special dividend from First National (FN.TO) in December. That will be a great boost to dividend income.


AdSense Earnings
Adsense earnings from blog: $4.89
Adsense earnings from YouTube: $464.36
Total AdSense earnings: $469.25

What a surprise! I did NOT expect to earn that much from YouTube! The fact that YouTube earnings have outperformed dividends is just insane! I’m saving that money aside to pay taxes next year. The leftover balance will be used for investments or to pay down my mortgage faster. I know I can yield better results from stocks, but the feeling of not having a mortgage is so liberating.



Transactions
In November, I purchased 11 shares of Restaurant Brands International (QSR.TO). I have a separate post about that purchase, so if you missed it, go check it out.



2020 TFSA Contribution Limit
The 2020 TFSA contribution limit will remain the same as in 2019. That’s $6000 for my TFSA and $6000 for my wife’s TFSA. I most likely will continue with monthly contributions of $500. Topping that with dividends, I will have around $900 per month to invest in stocks.

The compound growth is great. When I first started investing, I had to put $1000 per month to buy stocks. As years passed by, I reduced that amount to $900, then to $800, then to $700, to $575 and finally to $500 per month in 2020. My purchasing power remained the same because of the dividends that covered the difference. Now I don’t have to invest as much as before.

On the other hand, we did open a new TFSA for my wife and we fully loaded it in two years. Her portfolio is already providing great returns.



Car-free lifestyle
It’s been a month since I sold my car and I didn’t find a replacement yet. The car that I’m looking for is hard to find. However, we quickly adapted to car-free lifestyle. My wife was taking the subway to work anyway, so it was not a big deal for her. Since we live in the city, everything is close by. We have 4 grocery stores in a walking distance and the subway station is 25-min walk or 10-min bus ride. The daycare and elementary school for the kids are a few blocks away.


Performance Charts






-----
That’s it for November update! Let me know what you think of my progress. Feel free to share your progress in the comment section below. Thank you for reading and take care!

6 comments:

  1. hey German

    another fantastic month. That portfolio keeps growing and those youtube earnings are just nuts.

    keep it up
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go German, another month of growth. Those Youtube are outstanding, can't wait to see how your December goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. December should be promising. One more month to close the books.

      Delete
  3. Dude! Congrats on another amazing month brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DG! Keep up the good work with your YouTube channel!

      Delete