I Spent All My Money on Bank Stock and now I'm Poor

Hey guys. A quick update on today’s purchase. The markets have been selling off lately so I decided to look for some deals, especially that I had over $1,200 accumulated from dividends in my TFSA account.

During the pandemic, it’s important to buy defensive stocks to be able to sustain any potential downturns. Generally, consumer staples, banks, utilities and tesla would be your best bet. Well, today I decided to beef up my banking sector.

I own most of Canadian bank stocks, but CIBC is my smallest holding compared to other banks. Therefore I decided to add to my CIBC position. I blew all of my cash ($1,200) on CIBC stocks. I bought 12 shares for $99.67 per share. My total position in CIBC jumped from 8 shares to 20 shares. How terrific is that. I feel like I can walk to any CIBC branch, tell them who I am, and ask for my dividend money.

And speaking of the dividends, since the stock price dipper under a $100, the bank is paying out a whooping 5.73%. This purchase will add $17.52 per quarter or $70.08 per year of passive income.

1 comment:

  1. "I feel like I can walk to any CIBC branch, tell them who I am, and ask for my dividend money. "

    haha that's great!

    nice purchase, keep it up

    ReplyDelete